Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Is protecting my Android phone really necessary?

Cell phones are so advanced today that they are merely a mini pc with an undersized processor that can do some amazing things. The PDA phones on the market today have operating systems just like our personal computer at home. The Iphone and the Blackberry are pretty much buttoned down as far as the apps are concerned. Those who develop apps for Iphone and Blackberry have to be approved before they are put on the market. This is not so when it comes to the Android OS.

The Android OS was developed by Google and they are pretty much sticking to their guns as far as open source is concerned. This means anybody can develop an application for the Android Market and upload it. This is a great idea and allows for a lot of freedom. Unfortunately it also opens the door for people who lack in character as well. With this in mind, does just installing an antivirus or malware protector on your Android solve the problem? The answer is NO.

The rule of thumb is to not do anything on your Android that you wouldn't do on your PC. For example would you download a program in install it on your system just because the program vendor said it is the best program on the planet for your needs? Remember, your Android is pretty much a mini PC.

When I make a decision on whether or not to download an app on my Android, I look at two factors that help me make my decision on whether or not I am going to download it.


  1. I read the comments under the description of the app I am about to download. If they are unfavorable and the application doesn't do what the description says it's supposed to do, I avoid it. 
  2. When you attempt to download the app, your phone will tell you what permissions the application is attempting to acquire. Pay close attention to this. If you are downloading a music application and it is saying it wants sms (text messaging) permissions, be very skeptical. 
I am in the process of testing several anti virus applications and will post my thoughts at a later time. In the meantime, your best line of defense is watching what permissions that application is attempting to acquire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment